Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Marijuana Lobby Grows



Before the post, I want to say that these are some general thoughts which I hastily jotted down. Of course my opinions are not limited to what I wrote, but I just figured I would bring up this topic while it was on my mind.

This title of this post is the headline of a Fox News article today, and really this growing lobby is fine with me. Personally, I don't see why marijuna should not be legalized. Alcohol is arguably a much more dangerous substance than marijuna. Think of how many spousal abuse situations are the result of abusive, alcholic men. Now think about how many abusive situations are in some way resulatant from marijuna. The truth is, the effects of marijuna are much less dangerous then those of alchohol, and it goes much farther than abusive situations...drunk driving fatalities, cirrhosis of the liver, depression, etc. Abuse is merely an example which lies at the tip of the iceberg. It does not seem consistant that the government has legalized alcohol, but not marijuna. If alcohol were to be illegalized, then the government would be taking a consistent approach to these harmful substances. However, I contend that it would be ridiculous for the government to outlaw alcohol.

It is my belief that the government should not limit what individuals do in their own free time with their own bodies. If the actions are harmful to themselves, then they only have themselevs to blame. If someone wants to go smoke their brains out, why shouldn't they be able to? Alcoholics are allowed to habitually drown themselves in their brew.

My basic premise: I don't think indulgence in alcohol or marijuna is good or healthy; however, people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their bodies without government intervention.

0 comments: